Ask a Texas Child Support Lawyer : What Happens If I Lose My Job?

When the parents of a minor child live together, both parents are assumed to be contributing to the financial support and emotional growth of the child. If the parents decide to end the marriage, or otherwise live apart, the law imposes a legal obligation on both parents to continue to contribute to the child’s support and maintenance. For the non-custodial parent, this is accomplished through the payment of child support. Once a child support order is established, you are obligated [ ] The post Ask a Texas Child Support Lawyer : What Happens If I Lose My Job? appeared first on Law Office of Jon R. Boyd..


Can I Go to Jail for Not Paying Child Support?

If you are the parent of a minor child in the State of Texas and you have been ordered to pay child support for that child it is imperative that you take your support obligation seriously because failing to pay child support can have serious negative consequences. In fact, it is even possible that you will go to jail for not paying child support in Texas. The worst thing you can do is ignore the problem if you find yourself unable to comply with the court order. It might be possible to modify your current support order or there may be an affirmative defense that could prevent you from ending up in jail; however, doing nothing is almost guaranteed to have unwanted consequences. Although only an experienced Texas family law attorney can provide you with specific advice regarding your situation, some general information about failing to pay child support in Texas may be beneficial in the meantime. When the parents of a minor child go through a divorce, or when paternity is established fo